Thursday, November 13, 2008

Gliders or did I mean Rodents?


My sister is selling her spices at two trade shows this weekend and so maybe I am a little overworked and stressed out. But as Denali and I entered the row where we would be set up for the next three days, I noticed a man speaking to someone (thing). I thought he had on a bluetooth. Then looked more closely and realized it was a pet. I assumed it was a baby ferret and found it incredibly odd that you would choose to set up for a trade show while entertaining a pet. I then supposed that he might be from out of town (hoped was probably more like it) and he could not leave this rodent like animal in a hotel room. He is setting up and as we are walking through back and forth unloading, I admittedly was looking a little uncomfortable as his friend ran up and over his head but did not appear to be attached to anything. I call Michael and ask what he thinks of my first impression of this Home Show and the man with a ferret. He is not as humored as I am so I continue to move things around. After our third trip, the man decides my strange and fearful looks might be indicative of my feeling toward rodents (hate would be a very mild word) and tells the little creature to jump in his bag. I continue watching with fascination as he sets up various cages and has jars of "food" set out for sale. I now move on to the picture in my head--Ravi (brother in law and Chief Indian officer of this crazy clan) doing a cooking demo of which they have four this weekend and Michael manning the booth (all that is funny enough) and in comes the rodent creature to help stir the pot both figuratively and literally. I am imagining this GLIDER (more of the display has been put up to clearly identify said rodent) swooping in to taste a little of my sister's Indian cooking. I picture the people running away swearing never to try ethnic food again and I am cursing this little guy for ruining my retirement plan (did I mention not a lot of sleep occurred this week so my dreaming is done wide awake). Well now I am perfectly petrified with the idea of being a few booths down from this crazy scenario all weekend. I call a friend to lament about our luck in having animals and their gear for sale so near to our food and does she respond with sympathy--oh no she owned one of these rodents and named it Phoebe. So as I was trying to get excited about helping with this show, I have used all of my brain power to wonder why anyone would want to sell gliders and the very cute little homemade pouches to carry them everywhere you go. For a reality check, I would like to know how many people go to a home show and buy a glider or his paraphernalia, how does one sign up for a booth like this and better yet, in the state of the economy--will I someday be resigned to selling rodents at a home show to cover college expenses of four kids? I am deeply disturbed by this and after reading www.sugargliderconnection.com ( a must read if you want one) I am thinking at $175 each- this man is making a killing while I tagged 700 Indian Spices this week.

Lastly I would like to note this website recommends buying two unless you have plenty of time to devote to them- like the man two booths over.

No comments: