Monday, November 10, 2008

House calls

It was pointed out to me this weekend that I might have it good. I am hopeful it is good karma that is making my life a little easier. Michael and I try to teach the kids that good begets good. This weekend began with stomach sickness from my little guy on Friday leading me to believe we might have a couple of cases of Strep. After canceling a bday party, upsetting the entire emotional balance of the kids and cleaning up the car seat, we determined a quick trip to the pediatrician's office was in the plan for Saturday morning.

Off we go-all 6 of us (including my doctor-phobic husband) to the pediatrician. An hour later, we have no conclusive info other than Michael's assurance we have now picked up something just by entering and lamenting why no one makes house calls.

We are lucky enough to have a hair stylist who comes to us. She lived with us for a while (my very best hair days) but has moved on only to repay us with her kindness by not making me truck 6 people to the Aveda salon. so yes, i am grateful.

But to continue with house calls, Sunday morning found us watching soccer and before the game had begun, Keaton stepped in a hole up to his thigh. He refused to stand on his own. We spent an hour deliberating our options. After returning to the house, I called our chiropractors and Dr. Kristin said she was on her way. After an adjustment, she was convinced he was fine but leery of the pain that was initial. She left after a bowl of soup and good conversation. we agreed to come by the office on Monday to be rechecked. By the way, she suggested apple cider vinegar for killing strep. Happy to imbibe with gargling in hopes that if we did not have it- we could avoid it. We will be regularly gargling this winter.

An hour later my second house call for the weekend arrived with camera slung over his shoulder. I am also lucky enough to know a photographer who will come to us and if you have ever taken kids to a photo session -wow- you know how truly blessed I am. The kids don't get all out of whack trying to leave the house in perfect condition. I just get one ready at a time and then send them to sit quietly and bribe them with TV. Matt was even gracious enough to jump in the car and do some outdoor shots. Keaton even began walking again once we were outside.

So over all our weekend was far more chaotic then planned, but I feel incredibly fortunate to have lived here long enough to have established friendships and relationships with people who are willing to put themselves out a little. Another up side is that my children see that it is no more than we would do for this great people we chose to have in our lives. But I continue to be thankful for all the wonderful people who make up my village.

No comments: