Thursday, August 7, 2008

New Thursday Thirteen

Ok, it has been a week since I posted so catching up. We spent 4 hours each adult in the font yard this weekend because we let it go so long that we could not even afford illegal help to get it done. I have been trying to learn to knit. Hobbies in our house MUST be productive so I feel that I must make a pair of socks before winter. It is supposed to be relaxing but as of yet it is causing me great anxiety that I can not master what small children have been able to do. We have spent a great deal of time focusing on soccer. Our season begins next weekend as we travel to Fayetteville for a tournament. But last but not least, what has absorbed most of my time is that we had Keaton's four front teeth removed today due to decay. We struggle with teeth like some families struggle with allergies. As it has been researched and explained to me: we as a family have a bacteria that feeds and spreads and we share food, my kids teeth very early, and I insist on nursing on demand. This combination apparently does not allow the teeth to develop properly. We had the option to have fake teeth put in but decided against it. On a side note, if in Atlanta, we know a GREAT dentist who can do partial sedation in the office and she was wonderful. Thanks Dr. Susan Lee. Now to my thirteen.

Things I am Grateful for Daily:
1. My husband who walked the floors last night with me because Keaton could not nurse after midnight.
2. My other children who stepped up to the plate and handled themselves this afternoon so we could nap.
3. My sister who amazingly was able to stay with Keaton and be his familiar face. I DO NOT do medical well at all.
4. My parents who always help even when it means rearranging and dropping anything in their lives. My dad took the girls to breakfast, my mom kept me company in the waiting room.
5. Our friends who checked up on us, prayed for us and even brought me chocolate (thanks Mel-although not so much left to offer you).
6. Our insurance which allowed this procedure to be an option that did not involve financial sacrifice for a year or so.
7. Our city, which gives us many options to great health care.
8. Our health, which we forget to be grateful for until we are not.
9. Living here in the US which I have been reminded often lately is a privilege despite all that people believe. Just leave the country and you will discover how lucky we are.
10. The many nutritious options for food that we have evey single day.
11. The beautiful, safe, loving home I live in.
12. Our extended family who loves and supports us even though they are not local.
13. And last but not least, the opportunities that come each day to help us grow and learn to love more.

2 comments:

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Poor Keaton. I had no idea that you all had a bacteria issue. Will not getting the "fake" teeth affect at all the arrival of the grown up teeth?

Neelu Pandey said...

I've always loved toothless smiles, so on the brighter side of it you would have that for a bit longer. I hope it was not bad for him.
Your no.9 is right on spot. I could say so much...
Thx for leaving the comment to post pics. I was trying that for a long time but I think some security feature on my notebook was preventing it from happening.
Love to you all !