Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sunday

I am typing at this late hour because I don't have to get up tomorrow morning. Why? Because we are not starting our "real" school year yet. We have worked all summer a little each day but will begin our new year after we return from the beach in September. I have actually planned for the first 6 weeks already though and I am so excited. I think it is going to be a great year, especially now that Keaton can occasionally entertain himself. He was so excited at Stacy and Adele's house today because it was his first experiencen with kittens. He continually called them dog dog, which is his name for our dog. In his world, all four legged creatures must be dogs. Well also because their cats weigh more than our dog. We spent along morning cleaning up the backyard and the kids whining that they did not like outside work. Obviously neither do Michael or I or we would not be cutting bushes down to 8ft off the ground with a chainsaw. It was a very long time coming, this trimming and required many trips to the front yard dragging trees the size of Michael. The yard is not quite finished but we decided to call it a day at noon. I went to the grocery store and listened to my ipod while shopping. Felt a little young but most importantly, I did not have my kids with me so I did not wish to hear anyone. It was sooooo fun. We are catching up on Olympics tonight and then plan a playdate tomorrow. It was a fun weekend and a good reminder to our kids that someone must do some dirty work and none of us is above it. Hope this lesson continues to sink in. Michael and I were discussing the selfishness of kids, inherent, and the reminder for us that as the parents we must demonstrate unselfish behavior for them to model. I am going to focus on looking for the lack of selfishness in our kids for the next few weeks. When you are looking for something, it is usually easier to find. I look forward to seeing how they can demonstrate it.

No comments: