Thursday, April 10, 2008

Spring Cleaning

Today I have finished my spring cleaning. Well, we won't count the attic. Yesterday we did Dr. appts. Bryn is very healthy and yes she is 6 months overdue but in my defense, she hasn't been sick or we would have been aware that she did not have her 7 year check up. Denali had her teeth cleaned yesterday. The others have their appt for teeth in two weeks. I somehow missed our scheduled appt while we were at the beach. I tried to go on Good Friday thinking that was my appt day, however; in hindsight I see I should have remembered they are closed on all Fridays but most especially on this particular one. I thought I had it all together, even with four children, until this week.
Back to Spring cleaning, I have touched all the clothing in the house and rid myself of anything not worn in the last 6 months, a huge challenge for me because I envision myself someday having enough time to iron and dress up, but also while the clothes I have in my closet are still fashionable. Of course the reality is I need exactly what I left hanging in my closet, tons of shirts and jeans. Claudia came to help me today and we tackled the linen closets and the laundry room. All winter things have been packed away so bring on the 32F weather Monday morning. We will all just layer our shorts and shirts while wrapping in blankets.
I have been reading Katrina's blog enviously as she swims with dolphins and relaxes on her cruise. Glad I have been to the beach recently.
Last week was testing week and we got very little accomplished besides that. This week we have been working on a Latin project and catching up on everything. I have decided to move Bryn along a little faster in math. She thinks about math in an unconventional way but arrives at the correct answer quickly. She must get that from her father as I need a calculator for all occasions. Denali has consumed an amazing amount of books (which I will update this weekend).
Tomorrow we are hoping to get in soccer if the rain can hold out and as of right now our plan is for me to coach Keelin's team Saturday morning. A mental picture might be good here. I have NEVER coached any other games or practices of which I have attended upwards of at least 200+ and I don't even understand offsides. On the upside, it is Keelin's age group which means my job is to keep them moving and preferably on the field that is designated to us. Oh, the twist- I must have Keaton on my back. Michael will be simultaneously coaching Denali's game on a field far away and can not be trusted to coach and watch the baby. Heck, he has trouble being IT in the house under baby proofed conditions. Well, think of me at 8am Saturday as I run around with a baby, a ball, and 8 other 4-5 year old girls on a field that if the weather man is accurate (yes, I know a big IF) will be under several inches of water.
Sunday's plan includes helping friend reupholster the car seats with new leather ones. This could be the end of a lovely friendship or an amazing bonding experience we will remember forever. Thanks Abbey for always providing us with learning opportunities. Michael is also to finish up the wall this weekend. All that is left is painting so it may never get done. Why he would rather measure 20 times and cut once as opposed to rolling paint which in my book is immediate gratification and requires no headache, I will never know. Also I am going to try a little block planning for school this week. This will mean we will work on one or two subjects a day but for longer periods. We are a little bored with our plan and need to change it up a bit to get through the next few weeks. Our current plan is to finish "school days" in May and then do only 2 hrs a day for the summer. Last year, we took the summer off and it was not successful. Everyone was grumpy by noon because they had been together all morning with no focus. I am heading to bed as I worked like a marine today, got more done by 8 then some people do all day. But I will sleep well knowing that if we were to host an impromptu party for 50 people, I could find all of the things I needed and the tent that would have to sleep all of them. :)

2 comments:

GBK Gwyneth said...

I'm tired just reading this blog entry! I did remember as we drove home from the mountains that I do need to schedule dentist appts for the girls (due the end of Apr).

GBK Gwyneth said...

To answer your question, I believe that I got to your blog through Katrina's.

In case you didn't see it, my "regular" blog, as opposed to the radio station one, is here

http://gooneybirddays.blogspot.com/

Nothing exciting there, really, but ...