Thursday, May 8, 2008

Thursday thirteen

Katrina inspired me with her list of if money were no object in homeschooling list so here goes:

1. A science teacher- it is my least favorite subject to teach but I find others who are fascinated and passion about it very interesting. I like the nutrition and health aspect of science but find it all a little too heady for me. I would love for someone to come inspire my kids each week into becoming scientific in their thinking and research.

2. Audio books by the dozens. I like to (or have developed) the necessity of multi tasking so I found that audio books are great. I can make muffins while the kids hear history or even just a classic novel.

3. I have to agree with Katrina and say unlimited funds would keep us experiencing the world and not just reading about it. Travel!!

4. All of the IMAX films

5. A geek squad guy to help me (ok do it for me) all the cool things I know exist like my computer hooked to my tv screen so we could all watch the shuttle liftoff without tears of who can see the 17in screen.

6. A pottery wheel and kiln- these are things I have never used but always thought they would be amazing therapy and less caloric then my current therapy of ice cream.

7. A schoolroom with 3000 sq ft - a chalkboard and magnetic area, a science experiment area, an art area - basically a school sized down a little.

8. The entire collection of Critical Thinking Company stuff.

9. A greenhouse for growing things, specifically indoors to control bugs and mosquitoes without chemicals and to be able to have tomatoes year round (they are not tasty in winter flown from South America).

10. The capability of the itouch with maps on the wall. I would love to use my fingers to spread or shrink an area that we were discussing. An interactive map that would allow us to really understand where things are.

11. Meet the Masters - the whole series. My girls love to do art but it is pricey and requires my undivided attention. So maybe a young teen to help entertain the baby while we do this.

12. A writing program that inspires my kids- whatever the cost!!

13. My actual dream would be for me to set up a school in a big house and make it a boys only and girls only for curriculum but share the common area like kitchen and science. The school would have only 5 kids per grade grouping. It would also be more fluid in grade levels. I would hire only passionate people for each subject so that in reality, each child would be taught by someone who could not help but inspire all the kids. I have grand visions and just need someone to fund my beautiful plan!

2 comments:

GBK Gwyneth said...

Audio books -- yes, I love them. Chloe has been fascinated by the few we have listened to this year. But I don't have enough listening time, what with all the new CDs that come to us each week...

We have just gotten our first order from Critical Thinking. I think I will love it; I hope the girls do too...

How's the Ukranian book? I hope you will pass it on when you are done :) No more parenting books. You are a fantastic parent already.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Oh, I love your list! We have some great dreams don't we?! I didn't go to the house additions...but, yes, yes, yes! And the greenhouse...I want one, too.