Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Save the baby, screw the rice

So my parents returned from their Alaska trip and we all gathered at their house today to celebrate my dad's birthday. We arrived early afternoon and the kids were wild after so many days of rain and indoor captivity (imagine a zoo keeper's challenge of amusing elephants in a small bird cage). After the gift exchange that resembled Christmas (glad your suitcase could not carry more--MOM), the kids played nosily until dinner. Mom, Kristin and I are trying to eat the table while my dad ate with all the big kids in the family room. I commented on how it must feel just like the cruise ship dinners, surrounded by 4 children vying for food off his plate because it always tastes better that way. He did not mind sharing both his food and space thankfully but Anita did not wish to eat sitting still. Apparently she has become so adept at getting her own bottles out of the cooly bag and then serving herself while surveying the room that she feels the confinement of a chair to be a bit like prison. She is wandering throughout the house with food when I calmly suggest my sister invest in Aaron rental furniture if she continues to let food be spread to all corner's of the house. She did not giggle but my mom did. Then Keaton is done eating and Anita takes his place in the regular kitchen chair. She is attempting to climb over the table and nearly places her hand in the egg drop soup. My sister grabs her arm and is holding her off the table but in the chair while also trying to serve her white rice. Keeping in mind the hour of the day-the witching hour that is- and the lack of sleep my parents have had in their last 24 hours of travel, my mom notes with alarm that the chair is slipping out from under the baby. My sister responds very calmly that she only has two hands and can't manage it all. On a roll with a few one liners today, I begin to chant, "Save the baby, screw the rice!" My mom nearly choked which is not a new occurrence at dinner but still enough to get me started. So in the end, no babies were harmed and no need for the Heimlich but another great dinner and perfect reminder as to why we only do take-in with these crazy babies. We are anxiously awaiting Saturday morning when we all leave for the beach together. The laughs, memories, and witty comments will keep us entertained.

1 comment:

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

How many beach trips is this? Trying not to be jealous...trying not to be jealous...trying not to be jealous...being jealous...