Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Registration

I am in charge of registration for our homeschool group again tomorrow. I have chosen a job that entails only three days per year. And now that I have done it for a few years with Amy, we have a system. But it never fails to intimidate me the night before. I am trying to print a google document and it is not turning out right. As I was talking to Amy, we were recounting our favorite Registration moment. Here is how it went.

We are set up in the doorway of the registration room so as not to allow ANYONE out without signing up for cleaning. We had a new policy this particular year and we decided to charge people to opt out of cleaning. The facility we rent requires us to clean it before the after school kids come in. We are a non profit, volunteer only organization-- a bit more organized than a co-op but still no one on the payroll. So after speaking in firm tones all morning about this new policy which was not met with happy grinning faces, but instead by a skeptical are you just milking me for more money (note previous sentence about no payroll) both Amy and I were reaching a breaking point.

A woman approaches who has had health issues and has never signed up for cleaning. We explain the new process to her and she is incredulous. "I am going to be charged $10 for having a heart attack." We reply calmly with no of course not, but you will have to pay like everyone else to opt out. She causes a bit of a scene telling us that she can not do heavy lifting (of which none is required in this cleaning). We firmly explain the choices again, her student she is signing up for classes may clean, she may clean, or she may pay. Seems so simple until she yells, "I wish to speak to the head LEAD." Back to previous paragraph- we are an organized co-op. We do have a board and a president, but this was a combination of registration decisions with board decisions and then same people always doing everything and that must change decision. So I jump out of my chair and run to several board members leaving the woman telling everyone how we were charging her for her health issues and Amy flabbergasted because really who is the head LEAD?? I ask if there is a head LEAD and when I get the skeptical look I had already delivered to the woman, they reply with YOU are the head LEAD. Not a title I relished at the moment, but being assured they "had my back" which did no more to comfort me than being with my mom in a dark alley, I return to the table where all the people in line behind this woman are anxious to see if she gets out of this policy. I quietly inform her that in fact these are the only choices and she is welcome to step aside and decide which one is best for her, but no registration will be complete without a commitment of some sort. I then sit back in my seat and wonder why we don't make these mornings, Margarita Madness. The line quiets and the next woman sheepishly looks at Amy and hands over all her paperwork in hopes that we do not find fault with any of it I am sure. Keeping in mind that Amy and I are not fond of any confrontation and have spent our entire lives in avoidance of such issues.


It is comical to find that WE have found our calling in not letting anyone out of the building without the proper paperwork filled out. We take great pride in this fact and tomorrow evening we will recount how we did not let anyone slip by and we have the documentation to prove all the checks and cash match our numbers. I will arrive with coffee and depending on Amy's dream tonight and if it seems like a premonition of our morning to come, those coffees might just need to be spiked. Beware the two women bearing pens and clipboards tomorrow. Thanks to Lucy for taking the piranha role for Cleaning duties. :)

2 comments:

amy said...

I suggest we just keep muttering to ourselves "We ARE the Head LEAD"!

And you wonder why I don't want to do this for years and years to come? You left out the part where the woman steps sheepishly up to our table and I say,looking at her rather intently, "PEOPLE. {{long pause}} GET...ON...MY...NERVES." Ahh, we're so lucky most people are good natured!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

You two are too funny! I'll be there to pay. Per usual. I don't clean at my house, I am happy to opt out at LEAD. And then this year, I really do have an excuse. I won't be there at all. I am going to miss seeing you guys!!